Thursday 26 January 2012

Gameplan! 2012 is my year!

  Here we are then, new year, new surprises, new game plan. Well, near identical game plan but this time I'm actually doing it! Last night I played at the the stunning "Chequers Open Mic Night", stunning because of the quality of the performances, Kicked off by an amazing footstomping trio and with a fantastic atmosphere.  I played a few covers and a few of my own and noticed the winter rust coming off as I performed but my performance and even my mistakes were warmly received by Isaac and Julie who had invited me down and by the rest of the pub. What a great night of performances.
     
  Tonight I braved the White Rabbit open mic and was also shocked but this time because of how friendly an environment it seemed, contrary to my daytime experience of the pub as a bit of a hangout for people who'd forgotten how to shower, the nighttime crowd was great. The two barmaids were possibly the happiest two in the pub, dancing round and helping each other like it was a trained routine, that and a jazzy old keyboard man on stage made it easy to wait for my turn to play. The open Mic hosted by Simon and Damien was very good fun, even though it was often background  music to a good loud evening pub atmosphere. I opened loudly with Subterranean homesick blues, forgetting only a couple of lines and opened my eyes at the end to see most of the pub staring at me. The desired result but I quickly forgot myself and went into a wobble and with about 90%  enthusiasm played a couple of my own songs. I had forgotten just how weird being on stage and being watched critically can be! I was warmly congratulated by the hosts afterwards and felt like I might become a regular at both of these nights. Here's to a musical 2012.




Brighton Pavilion!

No comments:

Post a Comment